Healthy Fudgy Avocado Brownies
I’ve never really been one for baking but there is something about ‘healthy baking’ that I find most intriguing and more recently I’ve become quite obsessed with finding new recipes to bake into healthy versions of my favourite sweet treats! There’s something quite satisfying about replacing the bad and unhealthy ingredients hidden in cakes, cookies and brownies etc for the natural and healthy ingredients that you wouldn’t of ever known could ever be used as a substitute. And obviously this means they’re guilt free too!
I’m a huge fan of avocado so I’ve been researching some delicious tasting treats that I can use the creamy green vegetable in. The great thing about these brownies is they can last days in the fridge and can even be frozen! You can also take the ingredients as a basic recipe and turn it into your own adding coconut flakes, choc chips, almonds or even dried fruit!
Healthy Fudgy Avocado Brownies - serves 8 brownies
What makes them healthy? Gluten free, low fat, lower sugar than your average brownie, flourless and grain free.
You will need...
1 large ripe avocado (200g)
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp water
1x 100g/3.5 oz bar of dark chocolate (around 75%)
1 overfilled cup (85g+5g) cocoa powder
1/2 cup sugar or powdered sweetener (for lower calories)
1/2 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
How to make...
· Preheat your oven to 180°C/355°F.
· Grease and/or line an 8" square cake pan or glass oven dish
· In a blender whizz up the vanilla extract, water and eggs until smooth
· Melt your chocolate (I popped mine into the microwave for 2mins) and add it into your food processor or blender. Once this has been poured in, add in your cocoa powder, sugar or powdered sweetener, baking soda and salt and mix and blend until thoroughly combined.
· If your mixture is too thick, add another 1 tbsp or so of water.
· Scoop your mixture out of your food processor into your prepared pan, smoothing out the top and making sure you spread out the mix to all of the edges.
· Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cooked through. To check it has cooked through use a knife to poke into the centre and it should remove clean.
· Leave to cool before taking out of the oven dish/ baking tray and leave to chill in the fridge.
· Slice and serve. They can be reheated ever so slightly in the microwave for a warmer brownie!